Over the course of the MLIS I have greatly improved upon my knowledge of digital media. During a class that I tool Creating and Publishing Digital Media Content I created a blog which served as a learning journal as well as a place to show my portfolio of digital photography and the podcast that I created and edited. Here is a link to my blog Dabbling in Digital Media.
To create the e-portfolio of digital photography I learned techniques associated with good photography including how to use manual settings on a camera. I also learned how to use photoshop to digitally manipulate the photographs. This comes in handy for adjusting colour and lighting as can be seen on my blog.
We also received tutorials in using Audacity, a free sound editing programme. One assignment was to record a 5 minute podcast, to edit the sound file and to upload it to podOmatic. The podcast can be accessed from my blog.
We also learned how to write for the web as can be seen on my blog. This involves using plain English which empowers the reader rather than the writer and keeping the articles at least 50% shorter than you would printed text. We also learned about Search Engine Optimisation so my blog is optimized for searching on the web by using tags and heading 1 tags.
This week I decided to show a piece of evidence that demonstrates my teamwork skills. As all of my classmates know the MLIS is very heavily dependant on teamwork and and it is a skill that we can all say we have refined while studying here at UCD.
Before starting the MLIS, I quire honestly did not have all that much experience with teamwork and I remember in a job interview when asked to describe my experiences working with a team the only example I had was planning a society trip, as all of my undergraduate assignments were individual. The next time I’m asked in an interview to talk about my team work skills I’ll have lots of different projects to talk about!
The one that I have decided to show as evidence was a group project that I did last year for my Cataloguing and Classification module. As a group we had to come up with a metadata consultation for an organisation’s library. We decided to do it for ECO UNESCO, where I was volunteering to organise their library. If I had had to organise the library on my own it would have taken a great deal of time, which I didn’t have, but as part of a team the task became a lot more manageable. I think that we worked very well as a team and although we divided up the different parts of the consultation we made sure to meet regularly in order to keep each other up to date with our progress. We never actually got around to implementing the proposed metadata schema, however we felt confidant that it would be a workable solution to organise the ECO UNESCO library and may be something I will work on again in the future.
Organisation of Information Group Project Final
The piece of evidence that I have included is a piece of ‘authentic evidence’ as it reflects my own work. It reflects my information design skills and project planning skills. As recommended in this week’s reading the artefact I chose is current and is an example of direct evidence. I didn’t have time to get consent from group members to use a group report so I chose an individual piece of work.
The piece of evidence I used is a Design Proposal and Critique that I submitted this semester for my Professional Information Design module. The purpose of the report was to step through the project planning process of information design. I have also included a link to my design proposal presentation.
While working on this project I learned how to critique an existing example of information design and make suggestions for improvement. I also learned various methods of relating information and how to choose the most suitable method for your target audience. The focus of my project was to create a better signage system for the UCD Woodland Walks and to come up with better ways to relate information about the flora and fauna that can be seen on the trails. I also proposed methods on how to promote the walks more effectively. My target audience was the students and staff of UCD, who would be using the Woodland Walks to exercise, distress and increase over all well-being so I made the signage and maps clear and simple to reduce ‘information overload’.
I was happy with the final product as I felt that my design proposal was realistic and would be an improvement to the way the Woodland Walks are experienced. If I had a chance to redo the proposal I would have carried out a short survey on a small group of the target audience to get an idea of how widely the walks are used and how happy the audience are with the existing design.
I think that the UCD Woodland Walks could benefit from implementing my design proposal as it would ensure a more pleasant and interesting walk. The skills that I gained through carrying out this proposal could be adapted to apply to any kind of information design including infographics, websites, leaflets and posters. In a library setting information design could contribute to designing better signage systems and promotional material.
Here is a link to my design proposal.
And here is the presentation to go with it. Just click on the image below.